Elma's Backplane Technical Specialist Michael Munroe dispels the top 11 myths about OpenVPX and the SOSA Initiative.
1. The card isn’t going to be compatible.
2. I won’t be able to get enough power.
3. I’ll need a custom backplane.
4. I can’t run 10 Gb/s out of the backplane.
5. VITA 65 may not meet all my design needs.
6. All of the VPX connectors are expensive because they are sole-sourced.
7. The multi-connector is limited to 12 Gb/s.
8. I can’t inspect VITA 66.1/66.4 optical modules in the field.
9. Isn’t air flow-through the same as convection cooling?
10. I heard that the VITA 46.11 IPMI-based system manager isn’t really secure enough for cybersecurity.
11. Can an intermediate frequency be shared between radio cards in a VPX backplane? I’ve heard that there isn’t sufficient isolation.
Read all about it in this issue of Electronic Design.
The data sheet for Elma's SOSA/CMOSS Development Platform is here.